Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Mahabharata Part A

For the reading over Mahabharata, I chose the version written by R.K. Narayan. This version is similar to the one of Ramayana that I read in that it is a shortened modern version of the Indian Epic. I found myself enjoying these versions better because they are easier to follow and comprehend for me. I will be taking notes over some of the most interesting subparts in part A.

Part 1. Shantanu and Ganga.
  • Shantanu is a king who rules over Hastinapura
  • He fell in love with a woman who he met by the river
  • She agreed to marry him under one condition: that he never questions her actions
  • She proceeds to drown each one of her newborns in the river
  • He began to protest by the eighth child
  • She explained that she was the river Ganga reincarnated
  • By drowning the babies she returns them back to heaven
  • She took the eighth child with her and ran
  • She returned back to. her husband when the child was grown
  • His name is Devavrata, or also known as Bhishma.
Part 3. Shantanu and Satyavati.
  • Shantanu then fell in love with a fisherman's daughter named Satyavati.
  • He wanted to marry her but her father objected due to Bhishma being his successor
  • His son revokes his future position and even the ability to have kids of his own
  • Shantanu and Satyavati get married and have two children Chitrangada and Vichitravirya.
  • Chitrangada becomes king
  • He dies soon after and Bhishma rules for the younger son
Part 5. Dhritarashtra, Pandu, and Vidura.
  • Vichitravirya dies without having any sons
  • Satyavati begged Bhishma to have sons with Vichitravirya's widows Ambika and Ambalika
  • He declines due to vowing to celibacy
  • Satyavati proposed that the widows can sleep with her son Vyasa
  • Ambika is repelled by Vyasa's appearance and closes her eyes
  • They, therefore, had a son named Dhritarashtra who was blind
  • Ambalika turns pale with fright when she sees Vyasa
  • Pandu, their son is born looking very pale
  • The servant liked Vyasa and reacts to him positively
  • Their child, Vidura was born flawless
Part 21. The escape from the fire.
  • Dhritarashtra had designated Yudhishthira as his heir
  • Dhritarashtra is surprised with Yudhishthira's popularity
  • Duryodhana and his brothers are not as popular with the people as the Pandavas
  • Duryodhana urges his father Dhritarashtra to exile the Pandavas
  • Duryodhana then builds this fake house of joy for the Pandavas
  • This house was built out of oil and resin so that it could catch fire quickly
  • The Pandavas are warned of this trap
  • The Pandavas set the house on fire and escaped through a tunnel
  • Everyone thinks they are dead
Bibliography. R.K. Narayan, Mahabharata, pp.1-39


(Image of Shantanu and Ganga)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the not so Fabulous Life of Luda

 Hi first off I would like to introduce myself. My name is Luda....just like the rapper Ludacris. I am a biology pre-med major and I think the coolest thing about my major would have to be that hopefully one day I can not only potentially save lives, but at least make an impact in someone's life. Last semester the best class that I took would have to be biology 2 (yes ironic), but I really do enjoy learning about all different types of biology and learning about how the body functions from something as small as the firing of a neuron and I'm excited to dive deeper into those things this semester. Although I do love biology.... organic chemistry has got to be my biggest enemy. I have never experienced a harder class in my life and I truly cannot wait to be done with that! I would have to say for accomplishments my biggest one last semester was staying healthy and avoiding getting the Coronavirus all while living in my sorority house haha. Now aside from school, some hobbies that

Comment Wall

  (Leonardo Dicaprio Welcome  Meme ) My website  link

Week 7 Story

 In the world of highschool popularity, only some could join the crowd. You either have to know the right crowd or have the right looks. At Montclair High School there were three girls in particular that everyone was afraid of and most definitely did not want to cross. Their names were Regina George, Karen Smith and, Gretchen Wieners. During their senior year, a new girl who no one knew, but caught everyone's attention came to town and her name was Cady Heron. She so desperately wanted to find true friends and a group that she could fit into. She tried everything in her power to try and fit in with these mean girls, she even tried to sit at their table at lunch. They had a ritual in which they would pink on Wednesdays. Cady was unaware of this and tried to join their lunch table on a Wednesday. They smirked and told her "we wear pink on Wednesdays, you can't sit with us." Any efforts that she tried to make were shut down in an instant and they made her feel as though